Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Holographic sight on a budget: What's out there?

I've recently made my Saiga-12 into a bullpup and now I need to get myself some sights. I'm most interested in a holographic/red dot but I honestly don't know much about optics. I see EOTech sights going for $350-$750 but i'm not looking to spend that much.

Whats out there thats affordable and of decent quality?

edit -http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/501205-REG/Yukon_Advanced_Optics_SM13002_Sightmark_Dual_Shot_ Reflex.html

Is this one decent? Apologies for being a complete newb.
    Last edited by Al-Mumit; September 22nd, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Holographic sight on a budget: What's out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Mumit View Post
    I've recently made my Saiga-12 into a bullpup and now I need to get myself some sights. I'm most interested in a holographic/red dot but I honestly don't know much about optics. I see EOTech sights going for $350-$750 but i'm not looking to spend that much.

Whats out there thats affordable and of decent quality?

edit -http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/501205-REG/Yukon_Advanced_Optics_SM13002_Sightmark_Dual_Shot_ Reflex.html

Is this one decent? Apologies for being a complete newb.
    I learned this lesson the hard way. Any decent optic that will hold zero and take abuse is going to be an investment. If you plan on shooting a lot of in case of a SHTF maybe save some $ and get something that will last you. My understanding is there can be some possible heat issues on AK style weapons and the mount is as important as the optic and there are others here who will answer that better than I can.

(Beaver County)

Don't have much experience with alot of different ones but I have and still use a ATN Digital holographic reflex sight. Ya alot of people don't like em, maybe cause they only cost 179 from Cabelas, but have shot over 3k .223 rounds with one then transferred it to a 50 Beowulf and shot just over 500 rounds with it and it never lost zero. It's back on the 223 pistol and after another 500 rounds and it's 3rd battery it still going strong. Now I will say I would never drop it or get it wet for fear of it crapping out. But for recoil abuse it's good.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Primary Arms. They make a bunch of clones that are of higher quality than your average copy, or shitty off brand.

My experience with cheap red dots is its either going to work, or near immediately fall apart. I tried aa BSA rds on an AK. Lasted 8 shots and the glass.fell out. Weak...

If I was going to spend no money on a rds for a shotgun I would buy a truglo gobble stopper. Its basically an EOtech reticule. Dot in a ring, where the ring represents the pattern at 30yds or so.

Probably more handy than just a dot on a shotgun.

I have the two color 30mm rds from them and its lasted through more than 5k rounds. Its been wet, (rain) and dropped. It holds zero but the parallax is typical cheap rds. I did put it on the shotgun and it didn't die. But it was only for one trip out.

(Montgomery County)

If you buy a cheap optic you will probably end up buying twice. Buy once and cry once. My opinion is that you get a used aimpoint or eotech. Most likely you'll get one in really good condition.

(Philadelphia County)

Not worth it. Shoot with irons until you can save up for an Eotech or Aimpoint.

Buy once, cry once. I know from experience.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

The Eotech 516 has been great for me. Definitely look into Eotech, and stick with what you have and budget.
    This stuff isn't cheap, don't invest into some knock off china optic.

(Monroe County)

If you're looking for a holographic sight. There are only two choices. EOTech, which can get pricey, and the Bushnell Holosight, which is the same thing minus the military specs for cheaper. Do you want something super rugged to milspec or would you be fine with a commercial version? You have to choose.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Cumberland County)

if your looking for something compact check out the burris fast fire. i believe they go for around 200, plus mounting system as needed.

(Lackawanna County)

For a red dot at a good price...try a vortex strikefire. It wouldn't be my choice for deployment to the sand box....but I have run one pretty hard now for over a year at 3gun and carbine matches and it still hold zero and functions fine. Lifetime warranty and comes with mount AND a screw on 2x magnifier. I believe they for for $159-$179 depending on where you buy from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast