Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll

6 21.43%

14 50.00%

8 28.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default The Best +P+ 9mm JHP for barrier penetration

Which the best +P+ 9mm JHP for barrier penetration, such as vehicle windshields?

Default Re: The Best +P+ 9mm JHP for barrier penetration

Currently, either Corbon DPX or Doubletap's 115gr+P is to me the top all around choice. Both Doctor Gary Roberts and Evan Marshall recommend this load in 9mm- those two are on opposite ends of the "stopping power" debate, and generally don't agree on much.

Both the Corbon DPX and Doubletap loads use the Barnes solid copper hollowpoint, and are "Barrier blind" loads. The Doubletap is a slightly hotter load. (1250fps for DPX, 1300 for Doubletap).

Sometime before the end of the year, Buffalo Bore will be offering the same Barnes bullet loaded to +P+ pressure. Tim Sundles says it will chrono at 1400fps from a Browning HP. 1400fps= 500fpe of energy....seriously hot for a 9mm Para.

I currently use Corbon DPX.

The ultimate penetrating load in 9mm is probably Buffalo Bore's 124gr Flat Nose TMJ round. It's loaded to nearly 1300fps and about 475 fpe, or Doubletap's 147gr Flat Nose TMJ at 1150fps and about 425 fpe.

Those rounds should also both cause pretty significant soft tissue trauma, as flat nose hard cast or jacketed solid bullets are proven big game (and especially dangerous game) performers. Both are marketed as trail defense rounds. Penetration WILL be excessive with either one of them though.

I think Fiocchi also makes a 124gr FN at 1250fps, but it's not marketed as +P (Euro ammo is generally much hotter than US loaded ammo).
    Last edited by Valorius; July 28th, 2011 at 03:29 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Currently, either Corbon DPX or Doubletap's 115gr+P is to me the top all around choice. Both Doctor Gary Roberts and Evan Marshall recommend this load in 9mm- those two are on opposite ends of the "stopping power" debate, and generally don't agree on much.

Both the Corbon DPX and Doubletap loads use the Barnes solid copper hollowpoint, and are "Barrier blind" loads. The Doubletap is a slightly hotter load. (1250fps for DPX, 1300 for Doubletap).

Sometime before the end of the year, Buffalo Bore will be offering the same Barnes bullet loaded to +P+ pressure. Tim Sundles says it will chrono at 1400fps from a Browning HP. 1400fps= 500fpe of energy....seriously hot for a 9mm Para.

The ultimate penetrating load in 9mm is probably Buffalo Bore's 124gr Flat Nose TMJ round. It's loaded to nearly 1300fps and about 475 fpe, or Doubletap's 147gr Flat Nose TMJ at 1150fps and about 425 fpe.

Those rounds should also both cause pretty significant soft tissue trauma, as flat nose hard cast or jacketed solid bullets are proven big game (and especially dangerous game) performers. Both are marketed as trail defense rounds. Penetration WILL be excessive with either one of them though.

I think Fiocchi also makes a 124gr FN at 1250fps, but it's not marketed as +P (Euro ammo is generally much hotter than US loaded ammo).
    http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=298 115gr @ 1415fps / 511ft. lbs. from a G17.

The Remington 115gr bullet used in the Doubletap 115gr+P load you just linked to is a non bonded conventional core bullet, and will not perform well against auto glass and some other barriers.

The lower velocity Barnes bullet in the loads i described earlier is a solid lump of copper, and is considered to be a "barrier blind" load, and has been recommended by the top experts on both sides of the "light and fast vs slow and heavy" debate.

Once upon a time Doubletap (and Buffalo Bore) offered the 1415fps 115gr load with the Speer Gold Dot bonded core bullet, which is a much better barrier performer, but a couple years ago Speer stopped selling bullets to both DT and Buffalo Bore (at least in 9mm), since both eclipsed the velocities that Speer was loading the same Gold Dot bullets to by a pretty wide margin.

The reason the solid copper Barnes bullets are not loaded to as high of a velocity is because the copper is less dense, so the bullet has to be longer. This reduces case capacity somewhat, and therefore, velocity.
    Last edited by Valorius; July 28th, 2011 at 04:04 PM.

(Jefferson County)

More mass provides more momentum. Momentum is what is needed for deeper penetration. Go with the heavier bullet.

There is a reason why big game bullets weigh more, to penetrate thick skin and heavy bones.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

I am not so sure it would be a great idea to shoot a BHP with +P+ ammo.

A Glock ok but just not what a High Power is made for IMO.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post

I love the barnes bullet and use the Corbon DPX and the Black Hills loading of the Tac-XP.
    I read about it having problems with glass here.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm

Look for "pistol bullet summary by manufacturer" then look for Barnes

So it may not be the best choice for glass,but I stil use it.

(Chester County)

Corbon 115gr DPX is my favorite

Hoplophobia is funny

Quote Originally Posted by twoguns View Post
    I am not so sure it would be a great idea to shoot a BHP with +P+ ammo.

A Glock ok but just not what a High Power is made for IMO.
    I think a BHP would be fine to fire them for self defense purposes, but i would not use +P+ ammo more than sparingly in almost any pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
    I love the barnes bullet and use the Corbon DPX and the Black Hills loading of the Tac-XP.
    I read about it having problems with glass here.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm

Look for "pistol bullet summary by manufacturer" then look for Barnes

So it may not be the best choice for glass,but I stil use it.
    Yep, i've read the same link as well, but despite the problems DPX had in some tests with auto glass, Roberts still recommended it. In fact it's the only 115gr bullet he recommends at all.

Evan Marshall has stated on his website that he carries Corbon DPX in every sidearm, in every caliber, that he uses for defense.

When carrying my HK P7 9mm, i carry 2 mags of DPX (one in the gun and a spare mag), plus one mag of the Doubletap 147gr+P FN-TMJ rounds....in case i get charged by a black bear or something, lol. Mike McNett at Doubletap told me that these rounds easily punch clean trough a 24" block of gelatin. Considering that the lighter and less powerful Winchester NATO "Q" 9mm FMJ round penetrates about 36" of gel, i'm betting that the 147gr+P FN-TMJ round will eclipse 40" of gel penetration.

I like Corbon Powrball too and have a couple boxes worth in my 9mm ammo stash, but it's a conventional bullet design, and seems to shed it's jacket in gel tests. If Corbon ever designs a bonded core version of the Powrball, i will probably switch to that.
    Last edited by Valorius; July 29th, 2011 at 01:13 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast